HOSTING AN EVENT
Thank you for considering Pegasus Books to host your event. Because we do not host all of the events proposed to us, a formal event proposal is required, which will help determine if your book and our bookstore will mutually benefit from an event. To submit a proposal, please copy/paste and answer the following list of 9 questions in the body of your email and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE: Your book must be available through Ingram and fully returnable with a (REG) 40%+ discount to bookstores, or through a publisher that offers these terms. Exceptions may be made for books brought to us on consignment terms, with Pegasus Books keeping 50% of book sales.
ALSO NOTE: We require 6 weeks lead time to host an event.
PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING IN YOUR EVENT PROPOSAL:
- Please provide the Title, ISBN, publishing date, and a short summary of the book.
- Please provide a short bio of the author, relevant to the subject of the book.
- What is the planned publicity and outreach for your event, beyond Pegasus Books marketing?
- Our events are held at our Shattuck Avenue location in Downtown Berkeley, usually Wednesdays and Thursdays, at 7pm. If you have a different time or location in mind, please give details.
- How many friends, family and members of your community can you ensure will attend the event? We will do our utmost to promote your event, but the reality is that you will be bringing the audience.
- Do you plan to invite guest authors or others with whom you may be “in conversation with” for this event?
- We are open to readings with visual or musical elements. Do you plan a presentation that requires audio/visual equipment? Please describe.
- IMPORTANT: We ask that you not schedule other East Bay events within two weeks before or after your event at Pegasus Books. What other events have you scheduled in the East Bay to promote this book?
- Please provide phone numbers and/or emails of the authors, illustrators and publicists of the book.
DO's and DON’Ts OF A SUCCESSFUL EVENT:
- DO encourage your readers to buy from Pegasus Books at our stores or at pegasusbookstore.com, while promoting your event.
- DO link to Pegasus Books in your social media while promoting this event, and do link to indie bookstores in general when encouraging sales of your book.
- Please DON’T be discouraged if we cannot accommodate your proposal. We consider every event carefully. As we are limited in time and the considerable labor it takes to host an event, we must be very selective in the events we schedule. We wish you success with your book.
- DON’T link to online discounters without also linking to indiebound, bookshop.org, or individual independent bookstores.
IF WE HOST YOUR EVENT AT OUR STORE, WE PROVIDE:
- Use of event space at our store. Set-up and breakdown of tables and chairs, etc.
- Our events staff, who will introduce and monitor the event
- AV equipment, as pre-arranged
- Store promotion and display of your book
- Listing on our events calendar, website and email newsletter
- Frequent mentions in our social media
- Book sales reporting to New York Times