Designing Games: A Guide to Engineering Experiences (Paperback)
***Books listed on this website are available as new books. For information about used, sale, and other in-store items please call or email us.***
Ready to give your design skills a real boost? This eye-opening book helps you explore the design structure behind most of today 's hit video games. You ll learn principles and practices for crafting games that generate emotionally charged experiences a combination of elegant game mechanics, compelling fiction, and pace that fully immerses players.
In clear and approachable prose, design pro Tynan Sylvester also looks at the day-to-day process necessary to keep your project on track, including how to work with a team, and how to avoid creative dead ends. Packed with examples, this book will change your perception of game design.
- Create game mechanics to trigger a range of emotions and provide a variety of play
- Explore several options for combining narrative with interactivity
- Build interactions that let multiplayer gamers get into each other 's heads
- Motivate players through rewards that align with the rest of the game
- Establish a metaphor vocabulary to help players learn which design aspects are game mechanics
- Plan, test, and analyze your design through iteration rather than deciding everything up front
- Learn how your game 's market positioning will affect your design